City of Colorado Springs HOURLY - Historical Interpreter - Rock Ledge Ranch in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
This is an hourly (at-will) position with benefits limited to those required by applicable state and federal laws, which include Worker's Compensation, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance, and PERA (Public Employees' Retirement Association).
Anticipated dates of employment are from the end of May through mid-August. Opportunities to work additional hours at special events from September through December may be available. Normal work schedule is Wednesday to Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Total hours worked will not exceed 1,500 annually.
Historical Interpreter - Rock Ledge Ranch
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services seeks a Historical Interpreter to work at Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site.
- Interpret Pikes Peak regional history, explaining the lives of the people who lived and worked at Rock Ledge Ranch
- Enthusiastically initiate conversations with visitors of varied ages, abilities, and cultural backgrounds; continue those conversations to tell the story of the Pikes Peak region in a compelling and thought provoking way that encourages guest interaction
- Conduct hands-on historical and educational activities for visitors
- Supervise adult and junior volunteers
- Perform basic housekeeping in the historic areas
Demonstrate traditional cooking methods and recipes Examples of Job Competencies
Knowledge of Pikes Peak area and United States history
- Skilled in traditional cooking and crafts
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Ability to facilitate discussions of sensitive topics
Good organizational and time-keeping skills Successful candidate will:
Be at least 15 years of age
Have education or experience in history, agriculture, education, or other related field Ideal candidates will also demonstrate:
Experience as an interpreter at a historic site or nature center
- Public speaking experience with large and small groups
- Experience with traditional arts, crafts, and culture
- Experience working with children Additional Information
This position requires interpersonal and collaborative skills, a high level of flexibility, diplomacy, and willingness to learn.
Physical Demands:Willingness to wear time period clothing during work hours; and the ability to occasionally lift 35 pounds and stand, stoop, climb, bend, and/or walk for extended periods.
Environmental Conditions:Outside in all weather conditions.
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $10.20 - $11.00 Hourly
Location: Recreation and Cultural Services - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Hourly
Department: Parks, Rec & Cultural Svc
Job Number: 12748
Closing: 4/30/2018 11:59 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5456 719-385-5456